The Vice President (VP) of Public Affairs develops and drives media strategy, earned media engagement, and content programs for S-3 clients. The VP formulates plans, oversees and participates in program execution, and is accountable for the program’s progress. The VP leads client relationships including strategy development, project management, and resource planning. The VP also contributes to the firm’s sales and marketing efforts including new business pitches and business development.
The VP of Communications is responsible for leading and driving client engagements, engaging with media, creating messaging and strategy, and contributing to new business pursuits. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage client engagements with businesses, coalitions and trade groups
- Plan and lead earned and owned communications programs
- Engage and pitch media regularly
- Develop and place op-eds, letters to the editor, and guest columns
- Write blog posts, long-form content and policy briefings materials
- Develop strategic messaging and content
- Participate in new business proposal development, pitches, and firm marketing
Ideal candidate for this role should be a business professional that is highly organized, flexible to adapt to change, comfortable being an accountable decision-maker, an independent thinker and worker, a problem-solver, and a collaborative work style. Candidates should have the following key qualifications:
- 10+ years professional experience (full-time) in political/policy communication
- Demonstrated experience developing, pitching, and placing earned media
- Maintain an active, broad network of policy or political journalists, opinion writers, and influencers
- Experience with digital and social media
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to present plans and ideas verbally and in written communication.
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized
- Creative and strategic thinker and problem solver
- Bachelor’s degree
How to Apply
Interested candidates may contact us at email@example.com. Please write VP of Public Affairs in the subject line. In your email, please tell us a little about yourself, why you think you’d be a good VP of Public Affairs at S-3, and include your resume.
S-3 is a boutique consultancy in Washington, D.C. that brings together the best in government and public relations to develop and execute comprehensive and integrated strategies that help our clients win in Congress, regulatory agencies, and the court of public opinion. Recognizing the changing government relations and communications landscape and playbook, the firm offers cutting edge strategies that leverage our extensive network of contacts, creative storytelling abilities, and innovative use of technology. Working as an integrated team, we stay ahead of the game in a quickly moving environment to earn victories for clients across a broad spectrum of industries. We are an agile boutique organization that values one another and relies on every member of the firm to contribute to the firm’s success. Together we support our clients as trusted advisors and key collaborators to help them win in the fast-paced world of policy and politics.